Navigation on Bern english

Personal tools

Service navigation screen

Language switch


Content navigation

Starting Work and Taxes

In certain cases, foreign nationals wishing to work in Switzerland require a work permit. «Amt für Wirtschaft» offers detailed information on issues pertaining to labour law. Relevant forms are available on the internet.

Amt für Wirtschaft (awi)
Münsterplatz 3a
3000 Bern 8
+41 31 633 57 50
Amt für Wirtschaft/awi (German, French)


Following registration at the «Resident's Registration Offices», registration at the tax office is automatic. Basically, foreign nationals without a residence permit (permit C) are subject to tax deducted at source. More detailed explanations and information about exceptions are available from:

Bundesgasse 33
3011 Bern 
+41 31 321 61 11 (German) (German)

Further informations