Step by step to the square as we know it now
The project to re-landscape Federal Square was implemented in two main phases, which took just on a year to complete.
Phase 1 (August 2003 to February 2004)
- Archaeological soundings and excavations.
- Main excavations and concreting work, plus installation of the pipework for the fountain.
- Replacement of existing electricity, water and gas mains.
Phase 2 (January until the end of July 2004)
- Laying of the natural-stone paving slabs.
- Final completion of fountain.
- Renovation of pavement borders.