Navigation on Federal Square
Facts and figures
- Issue of invitation to tender: 1991.
- Winning offer accepted: 1993.
- Approval of project credit: 2001.
- Approval of construction credit: 20th March 2003.
- Start of construction: 4th August 2003.
- Inauguration: 31st July / 1st August 2004.
- Natural-stone paving: “Gneis” stone from the quarry of Truffer AG in Vals / The Grisons.
- Surface area = 2,218 square metres / 3,600 flagstones (260 metric tons).
- New utility conduits (water, sewers, electricity, gas, telecommunications): 5,000 m.
- Illuminated strip: 33.5 m.
- Fountain: 26 water jets.
- Space occupied by fountain operating system: 750 cubic metres.
- Water output: up to 142 cubic metres per hour.
- Capacity of re-circulation system: 150 cubic metres per hour.
- Total cost of re-landscaping: 7.98 million Swiss francs.
- Cost breakdown:
Swiss Confederation: 2.3 million francs,
Die Mobiliar insurance company: 1.7 million francs.
- Costs met by the City of Bern: 3.98 million francs.